Saturday, January 26, 2013

New Pointes and Fitting Tips!

Hello Everyone! Yesterday after school I had a pointe shoe fitting. My dance studio owner scheduled two pointe shoe fitters to come to the studio and get pointe shoes for the girls in my level who had pre-pointe shoes and some of the older girls who needed new shoes as well. I was a bit late from the snow we got, but when I got there I was instructed to put on my toe pads and get in line. I waited about 20 minutes, and then one of the ladies came to help me. She asked my street shoe size, and then looked at my feet for a few seconds and grabbed a pair of Capezios. Way too big. Next, another pair of Capezios. Again, too big. Then a pair of Blochs, too loose. Then another pair of Capezios. I went over to the barre for these ones, and when I stepped onto pointe (when getting fitted they always say, "Step don't roll!") and they winged out and were super loose and baggy. One more pair and I was done. The winners were a beautiful pair of Capezio Arias. When I went over to the barre and stepped onto pointe, they accentuated my pretty high arch quite nicely, and my dance studio owner said they looked amazing (it's hard to get a complement from him!). They are quite a bit softer than my old Bloch Serenades, but I think that will make them a bit easier to dance in. Not to mention, they also have a bigger box. I do get a lot more pressure on my big toe, so I'll need to get some gel spots or something to ease that.



So, when you're getting ready for your first pointe shoe fitting, here are some tips. Make sure you are wearing convertible tights, and if you have toe pads, bring them. If not, get them before you try on shoes, because the shoes will fit differently depending on the padding you have. It's ok to wear jeans, but make sure you can roll them up to your knees. So no skinny jeans! You could be trying on pointes anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour to find the best for you. You'll probably want to try on at least 3 pairs to make sure you get a good variety. Buying your first pointes is more difficult than your second or more pair, because you don't really know how they're supposed to fit. I found out after a few months en pointe that my box was too tapered for me, and the shank was pretty hard for a beginner. Of course, I never would have known this in June, because I didn't really even know what all that meant. You may try on a hundred shoes in 10 different brands, but don't try to rush the process. Pointe shoes need to be the best fit possible to make it as easy and painless as possible for you. When you get the pointe shoes, make sure to get ribbons and elastic as well. You don't want to get ribbon from a craft store, you should get dance ribbon that matches your shoes. Some dance stores even throw it in for free.
F1

When you're getting your pointe shoes, make sure you go to an experienced fitter if your teacher doesn't set up an appointment. If you have to drive 45 minutes to get there, do it. At my last "pointe shoe fitting", I tried on one pair and she said they were good. Ugh. Don't let that happen to you!

So there you have it! My pointe shoe fitting and tips, hope I helped!

22 comments:

  1. When did you first get your pointe shoes ? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them in early June (2012), I was 15, almost 16. I had a beginner pointe intensive in late June for girls who just started pointe or were doing pre-pointe, it was 2.5 hours a day for a week.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. These are you second pair, right? How long did your first pair last?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my first pair in June, did a weeklong 2.5 hour intensive (1 hour en pointe) and then did about 45 minutes a week from late August until now. I can still dance in them, but the boxes are pretty soft and they're not the best fit. The shanks (soles) are too hard for a beginner like me, and the box is too tapered (skinny). Dependingon how often you dance, your foot strength, and your pointe shoes, they can last anywhere from 2 weeks to a year.

      A first pair will probably last most beginners 9-12 months, and after that more like 6-9 months. If you're dancing several hours a week en pointe, you may need new shoes as often as every month, or even every two weeks. Professionals can go through a pair per performance.

      Delete
    2. That's some good information, thanks ^_^

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    I am 14 years old and I have just started to do ballet, I have never done ballet before and enrolled in a grade 4/5 ballet class, which I have done 2 of so far. I am really enjoying it and I like my teacher and fellow students. I do not want to be a professional dancer but I would love to be able to perform in small shows. I am a beginner, and I feel a bit overwhelmed in my classes, as the other girls in my class are doing their exams, and seem much better at ballet than me. I can do plies, tondus, fondus, ronde de jamb, and some other basic stuff, but they are doing assembles and another move where it is fast at the barre, they releve and switch feet positions maybe? I can't do that one because I can't seem to find out what it is called. Also, I find the arm movements quite confusing when combined with centre practice, maybe because I am a beginner? I practice at home but I seem to be quite shy in my class, next time I go I am going to try being a bit bolder as I love ballet and want to learn, but I wondered if you would be able to give me some advice as a beginner and how I can improve.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! First thing you should remember, everyone begins somewhere. It's ok to mess up, and it's ok to ask for help or clarification if you don't understand.

      Perhaps you should take class at a lower level until you get the hang of things? You could ask about taking a grade 2 or 3 ballet class to help reinforce the basics, either instead of or in addition to your current classes. It takes a few months to get into the swing of things, so don't worry too much.

      Arms are pretty tricky when you're first starting. Try marking the arms when you go over the combination, and think of little tricks to remember them. For example in arabesque we learn 4 different arm positions. I think about whether the arm that is out is on the opposite side of the working leg or the same side, and say to myself, "opposite arm and leg". Usually with jumps like pas de chats and jetes, your elbow points in the direction you're going, and the other arm is out. Don't stress too much, arms can be really hard when you first start!

      Being a little more bold is definitely a great idea. Don't be aftaid to mess up, just give it your best and you can go from there.

      Try looking up videos on youtube that just show how to do steps. Videos like this will help familiarize yourself with the steps. You shouldn't try them if you didn't learn them in class, but just having an idea is helpful. http://www.youtube.com/course?list=EC7E40E6E2DAB561B5

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like your blog, it looks great!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I was wondering if wearing gel/cloth toe pads ease some of the pressure on your toes en pointe, and which ones do you think re better? Also, thank you for adding a link to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I use Gellows by Pillows for Pointe, which are thin gel with a layer of fabric. I really like them, but I haven't ever tried any others. My dance teacher recommends to stay away from purely gel, because generally they're very thick, and I've heard just cloth can cause blisters. Any type of toe pad will ease the pressure, so just pick what works best for you! And no problem!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for all your helpful advice, I will definitely look into everything you have said. I went to my class again yesterday and it was a lot of fun, I took some of your advice and it really helped thank you. Also, we are starting to practice for a show dance in June/July this year and it is contemporary , did you ever do this in your classes? Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, glad I could help! At my old studio we started practicing for the recital around this time, my first year we danced to "New York State of Mind" and my second year was "Let It Be (cover)". I think I have some older posts if you browse through about them.

      It's a ton of fun, I loved doing those dances. At my current studio we dance to classical music for the spring show, and our theme is Sleeping Beauty, so my class will be dancing a variation from that.

      Delete
  8. Thats really cool, I will definately look through your other posts. By the way I love this blog it is so useful. Thank you :-) Izzy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It feels so good to find great pointe shoes! Congrats on that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanx :) My right pointe sue recently died, and I am getting new ones some time this week, so thx again! OH and Izzy, don't worry, I'm sure you will do fine! AND OMG THE ARMS ARE SOOOO TRICKY at times. What helps me is if I ask lots of questions, like if my teacher says a combination and then asks if everyone has it, don't say yes if you don't have it. Raise you hand and ask if he/she can repeat it or show the arms one more time. Also I am thinking of doing a post on this on my blog, www.dream2dodance.blogspot.com , so visit if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH, and @BalletGirl.... oh wait forgot sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow very fantastic shoes i love it
    where i can get this
    i like your post thanks for share this . . .



    Ballet fitness DVD | Ballet equipment

    ReplyDelete