Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Off Days and On Days

So, Monday was a bad day. I took a three huge tests, didn't get much sleep, and was a jittery mess. In dance, I couldn't focus, and even though I knew combinations, I couldn't get my feet to follow what my brain was saying. By the end of class I had gotten countless corrections, each directed towards the class but I knew they were meant for me. It was horrible. By the end of class I was biting back tears at how awful I was. 

Today was completely different. I got to class 15 minutes late (thanks traffic jams!) but was on the ball from the moment I got in. I nailed most of barre, held pretty good balances (especially in front attitude, yay!), and focused on arms, head position, and feet so I really got into each combo. Center was pretty good, I didn't mess up anything too badly either. I also learned Russian Pas de Chats (finally!!) today, and even though the other girls learned them on Wednesday and Saturday (the company classes are then), I was the one complimented on them. We also did pointe today, at barre and in center. I got a little frustrated when we did chaines and pique turns from the left side. For some reason, I can do it pretty well left to right, but right to left is a mess. 

Anyways, don't let one or two bad classes get you down. I think one of the best ways to have a good class is to visualize! Run through combinations in your head before class. During class, pay attention and mark it like you mean it!

Another Nutcracker Rehearsal on Friday, I'll update again then.

4 comments:

  1. My ballet teacher also says to think of what you could do better in the next class if you felt you had a good day, so maybe that can be motivating, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm 15 now, 16 in March. I danced from the age of 2 up until about 12 but forget just about everything. I've been a cheerleader for the past seven years but I'm sick of it and want to switch to ballet and possibly carry on through college. Is it too late?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! It's absolutely not too late to start for fun. And having previous experience and cheer experience is a plus too! Unfortunately, girls our age that plan on becoming professional ballerinas are already apprenticing with companies.

      You can definitely take classes now. At my old studio 16 and 17 was normal to start ballet, and at my current studio there are women in college that take beginner and intermediate ballet classes. Go for it!

      Delete