Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pointe Shoe Padding


Hey guys! I wrote a post on this months ago, it was super long and I spent like an hour on it, and then my computer shut down and it was deleted. I didn't have the heart or patience to rewrite it then, but here it is! Better late than never!

So, there are many different types of pointe shoe padding. Some people use very little padding, others use a lot. It all depends on your feet, your shoes, and your pain tolerence. Here's a breakdown.

Fabric Padding:

Fabric padding are generally not too thick, but also not thin. They can occasionally shift around in the shoe, but is a great option. They can be hand washed and air dried. They don't rip and tear easily, and can sometimes be trimmed down, depending on the brand. Fabric tends to be pretty pricey, $15-$25, but is the most durable.













Some examples are Ouch Pouches (which come in nice colors too!), and Skinny Dips.

Gel Padding:

Gel padding is usually pretty thick. It is very protective, but can prevent you from feeling the floor, which is important, especially for beginners. They can tear or rip. They should be hand washed, air dried, and then sprinkled with baby powder or talc powder.


Examples are Eurotards Feather lights and Sansha Toe pads.

Combination Padding

Gel and Fabric can be combined. These types of pads are usually gel with a layer of fabric. The fabric can be worn on the toes, or the gel can, depending on preference. Like gel pads, these can rip and tear, however it is less likely due to the fabric. Like gel, these should be hand washed and sprinkled with powder. I use these (mine are Gellows) and have had them since I started pointe 10 months ago. I really like them, not too thin or thick, and mine have not torn. They aren't too expensive either.












Examples are Gellows and Gel Tip Toe Pillows, both by Pillows for Pointe.

Lambs Wool:

Lambs wool padding can be used as a primary padding or just as a filler for problem spots. It is probably the oldest type of padding. It can be formed into a pad that fits to your foot, or it can be bought in a pre-made pad. It gets thinner as you use it, but can be carefully washed and fluffed dry so it returns to it's original shape. It's generally very thin and versatile.



Examples are Discount Dance Supply Lambs Wool and Lambs Wool Pillows from Pillows for Pointe.

Extras:

There are types of padding other than the main toe pads like those shown above. For example, if you have a large space between your toes, you may want toe spacers. Toe spacers are like a little chunk of gel that you stick between your toes to keep your toes aligned properly. If you have problems with specific areas, you may want to get gel spots, which can be placed anywhere that needs more protection. If you have problems with a specific toe, or if your big toe is smaller than your second toe, you can get toe caps to even the length or further protect a specific toe. I use both Space Makers and Gel Tips because of the gaps between my toes and the length difference in my first and second toe.

Examples are Space Makers, Gel Spots, and Clear Stretch Gel Tips by Bunheads.

There you have it, a basic guide to pointe shoe padding. Tell me what you like, and don't like, to use in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. I use ouch pouches, in the colours pink and orange! And I also use thick bunheads toe spacers! Also, I like the new look! If you could give my blog a visit, that would be really lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was getting sick of the pink! I checked out your blog, looks great. I'm so jealous you got to see Don Q, I'd love to see it sometime!

      Delete
  2. I don't know why I read your posts, I don't even do ballet.
    But cute layout ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daw, thanks. But now if you ever do start ballet you'll know exactly what type of toe pads to buy.

      Delete