Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Recital Time is Nearing!

So, spring has sprung, and you know what that means; competitions and recitals for everyone! My studio does not compete in normal dance competitions, but the company does dance in festivals and some dancers go to YAGP. I do, however, have a recital coming up! The "Spring Performance" will be my first recital with my current studio, and I'm honestly a bit nervous! It's at a new location for me, so I don't have the comfort of knowing how big the stage is, or where the dressing rooms are, and that always makes me uneasy. For some reason, I have the fear that the dance will start and I'll just not be there because I'm lost in some hallway.

We have officially finished the recital dance. It's not the most fun dance I've done, but it is definitely the most technically demanding. There is a bunch of pas de chats, and soutes in arabesque, and some turns as well. The costumes are absolutely adorable, they're blue and look sort of like peasant dresses, because we're the townspeople in the dance. Maybe I'll post a picture a little later.

Tell me about your competitions and recitals below! What songs are you doing, what do you think of the dance?!

Also, I have a friend with a beauty/fashion You tube (you know who you are, I know you follow me) and I was thinking of asking her to do a stage makeup tutorial, and maybe a hair tutorial since performance time is approaching. Tell me what you think!

15 comments:

  1. My studio is doing Cinderella! I'm a horse! So excited! My costume is a gorgeous white tutu! Your costume sounds pretty too! Also, it's my first recital with my current studio too! Haha -Miley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds fun! I've only ever had one tutu, and it was a dark purple color, and a bit too short. I would love a nice big tutu!

      Good luck with the dance!

      Delete
  2. Is your dance en pointe and will this be your first performance en pointe? Good luck by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dance is not en pointe, if it were, it would be my first dance en pointe. I'll probably do my first full dance en pointe for next year's recital. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Mine is technically demanding as well, but our costume is gorgeous. It's a tutu with lovely designs, and it comes with a tiara!

    Itsallaboutdanceblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, so jealous of the tiara right now. We have these weird flower headpieces, I'm not a fan.

      Delete
    2. Haha. My teacher isn't even sure if we will wear them or not, but I hope that we do. Flower headpieces sound nice. Are your costumes flower-like?

      Delete
    3. Not really, it's strange. The top half is gold, black, and white, and the bottom is blue. But on the sleeve area of one side of the dress there's a red, yellow, and black flower. The hairpiece has matching red, yellow, and black flowers. It stands apart from the main blue of the dress. Weird.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dance isn't ballet this year it is contemporary and we are dancing to the song technologic by daft punk, I am really enjoying the dance, I have a rehearsal on the 30th of June and then the show is on the 7th of July! Im so excited!! This is my first ever dance show/ performance, is there any advice you can give me as i am a bit nervous? Thank you! Isabel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats! I do have some advice. When you do the rehearsal, pretend like it's the real deal. Stretch and warm up, do the dance 100%, and smile (or practice whatever facial expressions you're doing)!. If you feel nervous, try marking your dance before you go on a few times, then take a few deep breaths, shake out your body, and relax. Feel confident, chest out, chin up, and good posture!

      Delete
  6. Thank you! Your advice was really helpful, I feel more at ease now! Thanks, Isabel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had my technologic dance rehersal on Sunday, and it went really well, it was actually easier and less stressful than I thought it would be and I followed your advice which really helped! I'm really excited for the show now I will let you know how that goes too! Thank you, Izzy :-)

    ReplyDelete