Monday, May 6, 2013

Combined Classes Scare Me

Hi guys! Nothing too new, just wanted to talk about dance today! I had a 90 minute class, right after school, and upon arriving to the studio I discovered we were having a combined class. Now, I hate combined classes. Well, no, hate isn't exactly the right word. I am intimidated by combined classes. They scare me.

Combined classes are when two or more levels take class at the same time. Sometimes there aren't enough teachers, sometimes it's a show day and there is one big warm up class, and sometimes it's an open class. Today, the teacher for the highest level, level 7 (14-18 years old), wasn't there. So we had a combined class of my level 4 (ages 11-16) and level 7.

The pro of these classes are that you have a role model, someone really good to mimic, which helps you improve. Also, it creates more competition, so you always push yourself. But the cons are that sometimes, you end up messing up. My teacher never teaches down, if there are two levels she'll teach at the level of the higher one.

So, basically this long, poorly written post is just saying I screwed up in class a lot today. That is all.


Leave me a comment, they save me from my boredom!

10 comments:

  1. I had a combined class today too . i'm in level 5 and level 6 was with us today i messed up so much but i wasnt the only one . it was awful lol but i got a chance to see what they do in level 6 . :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, being able to see more advanced girls is definitely an advantage.

      Delete
  2. I had a combined class not too long ago too. I'm in ballet 3 and the ballet 6 teacher was absent that day so they had to come to my class. I was very intimidated because they we're my age and they all had pointe shoes :( their was even one girl that was younger than me and was more advance then I was. But in a way i'm glad they came to my class because they only make me work harder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's what I like about it! It's inspiring in a way to see what you can become in a year or two.

      Delete
  3. woOoOooOw i know what you mean so so scary like i wanna hide in the corner yaknow

    ReplyDelete
  4. hii :) would you like to be a pro ballerina when you older? Also, do you still go to an average scool or do you go to a ballet acacdemy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! As much as I would love to be a professional dancer, I don't have enough training, or the funds to receive training. Professional ballet is really difficult job to get, you have to have perfect turnout and extensions, and a certain height and weight among a hundred other things. I also have some knee and ankle problems that would limit a career like that.

      I go to an average school, 7:30am until 2:30pm five days a week! I dance after school, and sometimes on the weekends.

      Delete
  5. I really like your blog, I found it a few years ago on Yahoo Answers and I'm really surprised (in a good way) that you're still posting, most blogs are only active for one or two years. This is a great blog, as a lot of girls start ballet as teens and don't really know anything.. but yeah. that was me rambling about lots of stuff, and um keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I got the idea to start the blog after seeing a bunch of questions asking if people were too old, so I wanted to show they weren't!

      Delete