Sunday, October 20, 2013

Motivation

Hey bunheads, it's been a while! I have some good news and some bad news, bad news first. No Nutcracker for me this year. It's tragic, I know, but the newish owner is completely changing everything about it, from location to costumes to choreography, and I guess the random 17 year old on stage doesn't fit his vision, haha. I'm okay with it though, my classload is ridiculous right now.

Now for the good news! My class is starting variations! Normally, we'd have a combined class with level 5 and 6 on Monday for 2 hours, and a normal class on Thursday for an hour and a half. However, considering there's only 3 people in level 5 and only 5 in level 6, they combined Thursday's class as well, and tacked on an extra half hour to fourty-five minutes so we can learn variations! I'm so excited, none of my normal friends get it, so hopefully one of you out there will get my glee. It'll be great.

The reason this is called Motivation, is because before I found out about variations class, I was close to being done. I was falling behind in class because the other girls in my level take 5 classes a week and I take 2, and I was dissappointed about lack of Nutcracker. I didn't really get why I was still dancing, my feet and muscles hurt after every class and I have hours of studying to do before and after dance to keep up with my advanced and college level classes (ap chem, astronomy, and ap US government and politics, ouch). Not to mention, I'm working 15+ hours a week (including Friday and Saturday nights, goodbye social life) to fund my expensive hobby. The only light at the end of the tunnel I could see was that next year as a level 6 I'd get to preform variations. And now that that has come a year early, so I'm staying in the game. I'm more motivated than ever.

Unfortunately, I'm missing the first variation class (can you believe my luck?) because I'm helping run a safe Halloween at my high school, and it's the same day.

My russian pointes have one foot in the grave. I just can not find a pair of shoes to last me more than a few months, from Blochs to Russians everything dies in a month. The amount of jet glue I use is unbelievable. I'm going to go for grishkos or gaynor mindens next I think, or possible a different fit and shank on russians. Any suggestions?

I'm going to add a bunch of variation videos in the Video tab up there ^^, so look at them and tell me your favorites!

2 comments:

  1. I totally recommend Gaynors! They last for like AGEEEEES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I talked to my teacher tonight and he said he'd recommend them because "my insane feet kill pointe shoes" haha. Field trip to Philly to be fitted soon!

      Delete