Monday, June 4, 2012

My Light Stage Make-Up

Hello again! I'm by no means a make-up expert. I really don't use much make-up at all. For those of you like me, here's a post on my basic stage make-up.


1. Wash and moisturize your face. I use a Clean and Clear face wash, but if you have sensitive skin or really nice skin water is fine. If you have dry skin, use a face moisturizer so your skin doesn't flake when you have makeup on.


2. Apply foundation. I use a creamy foundation by Maybelline for oil-control. If you're in between shades, go for the darker one because stage lights can wash out your face, but don't go four shades darker or anything too dramatic. 














3. Put on eye-liner. Many girls I know prefer liquid eye-liner for stage makeup because it's very dramatic, but I just use plain old pencil eyeliner. I would go with a black. For Nutcracker, I wing my eyeliner, but for the recital I just apply it to the top lash line. Some girls apply white eyeliner on the waterlines for the lower lashes, and at the corner of your eye to make your eyes look bigger.
Winged Eyeliner








4. Put on mascara. Next, I use mascara. To apply it, close your eyes half way, and first apply it on the top side of your upper lashes. Then open your eyes, and put it on the bottom side. When applying it to the bottom, wiggle the brush a little to separate the lashes. Then apply it to your lower lashes. I usually end up smearing my mascara or getting it on my eyelids, so at this point I use a q-tip dipped in eye makeup remover to clean up any little mistakes.


5. Eye shadow. I use a neutral brown eye shadow for performances where there's no specific color requested.


6.  Blush. I use a pink blush for performances because it adds dimension to your face so it doesn't look flat. When I put on blush, I smile and put it mostly on the apples of my cheeks. Then I use a little and brush it outward and slightly upwards towards my ear.


7. Next, I use a translucent powder to set the makeup and make my face matte, so it doesn't shine under the stage lights. I use Neutrogena oil-control translucent powder.


8. Finally, I put on a little lipstick. I like natural but slightly darker shades, sort of like a reddish-brown.




I get most of my makeup from Target, and I get my lipstick from Boscov's makeup section. If you need high quality makeup for a performance or show, ask someone at a makeup store to help you find the right shades for your skin tone.

7 comments:

  1. This was an informative post :) I'm starting a recital series of posts on my blog, so I hope you won't feel like I am copying you when I get to the makeup portion. I really enjoy your blog a lot because it's easy to relate to you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Of course I won't feel like you're copying, the more opinions and experiences that are shared, the better! I added your blog to the list of other ballet blogs in my side bar, if you'd like me to remove it though, I can.

      Thanks so much again!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! It's nice to connect with others through blogging :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, I have a blog Skates and Slippers. I was wondering if maybe I could put a link to your blog on my page and if you would put a link to my blog on your page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done! Your blog seems interesting, skating has always interested me, so I'll be checking it out.

      Delete
  3. i started ballet at 13 now im 14 had my first recital and everything(i didnt do recital the firs year). but you say you took more classes to help improve faster but i cant afford to take more classes and i dont know if they have more, im in a teen ballet and in a little girls one do you have any advice to improve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can't take more classes at the moment, just focus in class on trying your best. After class, ask your dance teacher for one or two things to work on until next class. At home, do releves and stretch to increase strength and flexibility.

      In a few years you'll be old enough to get a job, so then if you want to, you can use some of your money to pay for your own ballet classes.

      I hope that helps, have fun dancing!

      Delete