Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 1 of Pointe!

Hey guys! Sorry I didn't update last night, I was out with friends and didn't get home until it was almost midnight! One thing about dance is that it does cut into your social life, but if you have awesome friends (like mine!) they won't mind accommodating your schedule.

Anyways, yesterday was my first day at the ballet/pointe intensive. It was two and a half hours long. I was guessing there would be around 12 girls there, but there was only 8 including myself! That was really cool for me, because you get more specialized attention when there is less people. It also tends to make me more nervous to not screw up the combinations because if I do, it will be noticed.

We started the intensive like a normal ballet class. We did about 45 minutes at the barre, which was fun because we got to try some different combinations and even learned a few new things as well. Then we had a 5 minute water break and moved on to center/across the floor stuff. One of the last things we did was a petite allegro, which always makes me nervous because petite allegro combinations are small and fast, and I sometimes get tied up. However, this one was actually a lot of fun, and I managed it without messing up too badly. We also did a fun grande allegro which included saute arabesques, tour jetes, pas de chats, and grande jetes, which are always challenging.

After 45 minutes, we had another short break and got our pointe or demi-pointe shoes. Most of the girls at the camp are actually not en pointe yet because their feet aren't ready, so they have demi-pointe shoes which are like pointe shoes without the shank so they can get used to the feeling of pointe shoes without harming their feet. There are two girls that aren't from the academy who are just going for the intensive, and they are both en pointe with me.

We spent about 15 minutes practicing tying and untying the shoes, and worked on some basic exercises at the barre.

Being en pointe is a really cool feeling, it's almost like you're on stilts. I am 5'4" standing normally, and about 5'8" en pointe, so it really does make you feel taller and almost weightless.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! I can't wait until I can get onto pointe hopefully at the end of this year or near the start of next year!
    I feel so happy and excited for you because your a late starter and are doing so well with ballet and you seem to be coping well with pointe c:

    My feet look Egyptian, a bit shorter than the big toe but if I go on demi-pointe on one foot and just pretend my other foot is on full pointe (no pressure on it, just on the other foot) and my second toe curls like it is Greek...?

    Also, I'm 167 cm so 5"6 so that would make me 177 cm when I got on pointe! I could be a ballet model ehuehuehehehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Pointe is really hard in center, well for me anyway, but it's the challenge that makes it fun!

      Hmm, I'm not quite sure about your feet. I would think you would want to do what I do and use something to make your big toe longer, like cotton or a papertowel, but you should talk to your dance teacher about it.

      Haha, wow, you're going to be tall en pointe! It's a really weird feeling when you suddenly seem to grow 3 or 4 inches!

      Delete
  2. I love Pointe. Most of the girls in my ballet class hate it, since they complain that it hurts their feet...it does hurt, but in my opinion, it's worth it! :D

    Congrats! It sounds like you are doing great on Pointe. Yay! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! Most of the girls in my class complain about the pain too, I just don't get it. Sure, it's a bit uncomfortable, but it is most definitely worth it!

      Thank you so much, and thanks for leaving a comment!

      Delete