Monday, June 25, 2012

Pointe Shoes!

Hello everyone! Just a comment before I get started; if you've visited the blog any time in the last few days you'll have seen that I've been changing the design around a bit and playing with new fonts and backgrounds. At the end of the day, I decided that the greenish blue theme I picked out just wasn't right, so I switched back to the original.


Ok, so back to the good stuff, I got my pointe shoes! My first ever pointes are Bloch Serenades, size 3.5, and I'm pretty much in love with them. I got them on Saturday (two days ago) and stayed up until nearly 4 am last night sewing on the ribbons for my first pointe class today. I'm super excited to get back to class, I haven't had a ballet class in nearly 3 weeks and it seems like it's been longer. Every day this week I have a class from 4:30-7, about 40 minutes to an hour of it will be pointe.



The toe pads I got are called Gellows, by the company Pillows for Pointes. They have gel on one side, and fabric on the other. They're pretty thin, which I like, but they're still comfortable.They came with a little slip of paper in the box that said, "Inspected by: Curly", which I thought was kind of neat. It's interesting to think about all of the work gone into making a single pair of pointe shoes and pointe shoe accessories. Pointe shoes are still hand made, so a few weeks or months ago my shoes were being hand made and inspected by a skilled craftsman in who knows where. It's kind of cool, isn't it?








Anyway, back on topic: I also got toe spacers ("Spacemakers") from bunheads, which are supposed to go between your first and second toe if you have a gap. I might not wear them the first class to see how it goes without them, but I got them just in case. They're made of a gel like material, they're squishy without being too soft. 

Finally, I'm also going to stick a piece of cotton or paper towel on the tip of my first toe because I have Greek feet, meaning my second toe is longer then the first (weird, I know). Putting something there to even out the lengths lessens the pressure on my second toe.




I'll be posting later with how my class went, so stop by again tonight or tomorrow afternoon. Leave a comment about your first pointe shoes, or if you have any other questions or comments feel free to post!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm getting my pointe shoes on Tuesday and I'm a tad excited!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and congratulations to you too! I was so excited to get them, I could hardly wait until my first class! Tell me how everything goes when you get them!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I was so excited when I got my first Pointe shoes! :D At my school, everybody gets them in Level 2 {if they are ready, which usually, they are}, so my whole class went there as a group! It was so much fun, being fitted with our first Pointe shoes while talking with our friends. I remember it like it was yesterday...^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun! I was super excited too, I couldn't wait to try them on :)

      Delete
  3. apparently I'm narrow Egyptian… O.o

    ReplyDelete