Sunday, March 17, 2013

Company Woes

My dance studio can be kind of confusing if you don't know how it works, so I'm going to break it down for you and then talk about it. Ready for this? Okay. 

1st, we have the Conservatory. This is the actual leveled classes. There is levels 1-7, and I'm in 4. There is a Spring Recital every year, and that's about it. Jazz and Tap is offered for students 1-3, modern is offered for 4-7.

Then there is the Company. The Company is divided into the Jr. and Senior Company. The Jr. Company is levels 4-5, and some people in 6, and the Sr. Corps is levels 6-7. You must try out for the company. You can go to the conservatory and not be in the company (like me!) but you can't be in the Company and not the conservatory. The company has class every Saturday, and they rehearse on the weekends. Nutcracker is put on by the Company, as well as the Spring Gala Performance. They also perform in the Parade, the yearly Jazz Festival, Regional Dance of America, ect., and for a few students, YAGP.

To be in the company, there is a mandatory 3 week 8 hour a day intensive. Teachers from all over come to teach variations, character, seminars on makeup and nutrition, technique, and modern. This costs $1000. That is a lot of money. I auditioned for the Company, and was accepted, but couldn't pay this hefty fee. 

I recently have been applying to jobs in hopes of being able to afford the intensive, but I haven't had luck. I asked my teacher about auditions just incase, and she sent my dad an email saying I wouldn't have to audition and it would be good for me, and we'll talk more tomorrow. I think I'm going to explain that I'd love to, but I can't afford it, and maybe ask if there's a discounted option. Who knows, maybe I'll be given a discount, maybe not. 

You guys might notice that I do have ads on my blog. Those aren't spam or anything, every time someone clicks one I get a little bit of money. I set the account so it doesn't send me the cash until I get $100, and as of now I've only raised about $13. So if you see something that interests you, feel free to click ;). No, but I just wanted to clear that up so people don't think I use this just for money. I only get about a dollar a month, and once I do eventually get the money from it, I'll use it to pay for dance supplies and I'll tell you guys about it so you know I'm not just buying a new pair of jeans or whatever.

13 comments:

  1. I'd love to contribute if you set up an online fundraiser that we could donate to, and I bet a lot of your other readers would too. I think PayPal has some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's incredibly generous of you, I really am touched at the thought. I'll think about it, but I wouldn't want to seem pushy or anything like that.

      Delete
    2. I don't think anyone will think you're being pushy. We all know how expensive dance can be, and how disappointing it can be when the only thing holding you back is the money.

      Delete
  2. It's great that you got in. I agree, it's saddening that something you love to do comes with a price. Maybe you could have a bake sale or babysit to raise money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to raise money some kids in my school buy candy in bulk and sell it at school, i personally know someone who made $100 in three days of Selling candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. There hasn't been a new post in a while.I hope everything is Ok both in your life and at ballet too! I really love your blog and I hope you continue to blog about your dance experiane. I always look forward to seeing new posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the concern, it's really kind of you! This inspired me to post right away, and I have a few more ideas up my sleeves for the next week.

      Delete
  5. Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

    Here is my site - cheap desks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope more post are coming soon! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete