Sunday, April 1, 2012

Just some ballet talk

I think it's important for late starters to ballet, and really everyone who does ballet, to step back and really look at how far they've come. I always complain that I'm not flexible, but two years ago I couldn't touch my toes, and now I can with ease. I got a little wake up call in gym class (of all places!) when we did the v-sit test in gym. Mostly every american on the site knows what I'm talking about, right? It's a part of the presidential fitness test, where you see how many inches past your feet you can reach . The higher the number, the more flexible you are. Two years ago I got 2. This year, I got 7. That's pretty considerable, when you think about it. My extensions used to be between 45 and 90 degrees, around 65 degrees. Now, they are around 92. I get mad when I can't do a double pirouette, but I forget to remember my first ever ballet class when I struggled to do one.


So don't be so hard on yourself, ballet is hard, and your dedication and work for what you want is admirable!


Here's a video I thought was awesome. I am really into ballet, but I also enjoy lyrical and modern stuff. I always thought the song Someone Like You would be a great dramatic dance piece, but the song is so popular that the dance should really stand out. I think this does.

No comments:

Post a Comment