Sunday, July 1, 2012

Pointe Intensive Days 2-5 (a.k.a. How Orajel Saved my Life)

Hey Guys! So the last day of my pointe intensive was on Friday. It was 2.5 hours a day, and about 40 minutes were on pointe. The rest of the week went very well. By day 3 I was doing chaine turns on pointe, and we also worked on pas de bourees, piques, eleves and releves, and echapees on pointe. By the 2nd day my feet really hurt en pointe, but only because I had 2 ingrown toenails, both on each big toe. I searched for cures online, and talked to my friend's mom, who is a nurse. In the end, I fixed the problem by putting a piece of a cotton ball under the nail where it was digging into the skin, and I numbed the area before and after pointe with a little extra strength cream orajel, which made pointework practically pain free. There was a little discomfort just because of the pressure that is going on  your feet, but it wasn't painful really.

Overall, the intensive was really fun. I talked to my dance teacher and she said I was free to take the company open classes during the summer even though I'm not in the company, so I'll probably be taking a class a week or so for the rest of the summer.

Please excuse my french! I tried to spell everything as well as I could. Also, in case you didn't notice, I have a new video's tab where I'll be posting ballet videos that catch my attention.

2 comments:

  1. this doesn't really pertain to this post but sometime in January you made a post of your flexibility goals. have you accomplished any of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, good question! I've never thought about updating that post.

      I did accomplish a few of them, I did stretch at least 4 days a week and get the right splits, but I ended up pulling a muscle after stretching too hard without warming up enough and couldn't stretch for a few weeks, which undid a lot of my progress. I can do the right splits now with a lot of warming up and stretching first, and I'm still working on left and center.

      Delete