Saturday, January 21, 2012

First Ballet Class

Hey everyone, I know most of the visitors to this page come because they are interested in starting class. I hear a lot of questions about what a first ballet class is like. Here is how my first ballet classes, one at each studio, went.


My first ballet class ever was a teen class at a small competition studio. The girls there had been dancing for many years, but it was the first or second year of ballet for most of them. They were mostly older then I was, around 15-17. There was one senior in high school, but most were sophomores. I was in 8th grade, age 14, at the time. When I got there, the girls were all sitting around talking in the waiting area outside of the studio. They were  stretching on the floor, putting on shoes, and just talking. I remember feeling kind of out of place. We went in the studio after the class before us ended, and then we went into the studio and told the teacher our names. We started in the center and went over the five positions, and then spent the rest of the class at the barre learning basic ballet things. I remember feeling a bit overwhelmed after class.

The first class at the academy was much different. I walked in and discovered most of the people there were much younger then I was, around ages 10-11. Since everyone already knew the basics, we went straight to barre work, and halfway through class switched to center work. The class was much larger with around 15people, opposed to my 8 person teen class.

Your first day at any dance studio will feel very overwhelming, but trust me, after the first month you will feel at home. My studios have both become my second homes (well I guess my second and third homes), and all of my stress just melts away in class.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks :) i hope my first class isnt embarrassing :$ you seem to be doing really well :) im sooo excited for starting classes now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time :) I'm sure it will be tons of fun, good luck! Leave a comment on how your first class was if you'd like!

      Delete