Monday, June 24, 2013

Intensive:Day One

Oh my gosh guys, I love ballet. I didn't realized how much I missed it until I started barre. It's only been a little over a week! So, I was expecting at least 4 girls from my studio, plus a few others that usually come from other studios. There was only three of us. Three. That's practically a private lesson! We got so much individualized attention and we got to do a ton more combinations than usual because instead of having three of four groups of people do each combo, we only had one group, or else we all did it individually.

After a normal 90 minute class on flat (barre, center, across the floor), we put on our pointes and did about half an hour of barre and half an hour of center/cross the floor. We started with the basics, releves, eschappes, and passes, and ended with pique turns, arabesques, and pirouettes (eeek!). I didn't wear my new Russians because I wanted my teacher to check them out before I added ribbons and elastics, and she gave me the okay. However, that meant I had to wear my old shoes, which are dead as a door nail. Don't get me wrong, dancing in dead pointe shoes is kinda fun because they're so soft and flexible, but when I went up for left pirouettes (and my lefts on flat are pretty bad) my shoe gave out right under me, creating the scariest .5 second of my life.

I literally just got home, and will begin to sew my pointes right now!

5 comments:

  1. I've been out of class for almost 5 weeks now and I miss ballet so much :( Only 4 more weeks until my intensive, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After this week, I don't have dance again until the season starts in late August. Hopefully my new job will keep my mind off it!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I'm still amazed that there are only three people at your intensive! Also, how long and how many hours is your intensive, and is it just for ballet? If so, that must be fun. I love barre, it's quite relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, last year there was 8 people! It is just ballet/pointe, it's just meant to work on pointe skills for dancers entering their second year. It's 2 and a half hours, with 90 minutes of ballet class and an hour of pointe.

      Delete
  3. Dancing in dead shoes suck. My last pair decided to die in March, 3 months before recital. My mom couldn't get me to the store for a few weeks because of snow, so I had to dance in dead shoes for class. That was fun.. I could balance great, but feared for my life with everything else!

    I've been off dance for 3 weeks now. I start summer classes at a new studio in July. I'm so excited to go back, but I'm terrified at the same time. :/

    ReplyDelete